Friday, November 24, 2006

Why Dakota State?

In a recent interview with one of the top writers (Dan Wise) of the school newspaper-- Trojan Times. This same question was asked of me... "Noah, why Dakota State? Why here?" Here's hows I answered...

To be honest, it was between SDSU and DSU, I grew up in Brookings and have always taken a liking to that town. A lot of my friends were going to SDSU, and after ruling out University of Minnesota because of costs, I was almost sure I'd walk onto the SDSU football team and get something like an economics degree.

What pulled me away from this decision?

Three things:
Football
My Major
Technology

Football
Yeah I know, this is beginning to sound like a raw raw raw DSU post, but here's the deal. Former coach Gene Wockenfuss contacted me after visiting a few players from the old Bobcat 2004 football team (don't get me started). He offered two things that appealed to me: chance to play early, Scholarship. The scholarship was not a breathtaking figure, but combined with some academic "Cash Money" it was starting to look like a pretty good deal.

*Side Note* If you are a high school junior or senior and you know or are even thinking about going to college the ACT is a great tool to save you a lot of money. I received the Champion scholarship for getting a 24 on the ACT. I didn't get it on my first try, but it was definitely worth taking over. Here's a little story problem for those of you interested:

24 on ACT = Champions Scholarship (click here for more info) = $1000/year for 4 years = $4000 (yeah I passed calc too)

ALTERNATIVE

--"Good Paying" $10 per hour job,
--Total= $4000
--Hours = X

$4000=10 * X
$4000/10=X
OK....carry the one....x/y intercept hyper graphed into point slope formula...
X=400 hours

So, I definitely didn't spend 400 hours taking the ACT. Matter of fact, I spent about 8.
4000/8=......500...

do you know anyone who would accept a job for $500 dollars an hour?

OK...my bad on the getting sidetracked *SIDE NOTE OVER*

My Major
SDSU didn't have a true business major. I wanted business management. If I'm correct they just had economics.

Technology
The tuition costs were similar whether I went to SDSU or DSU. So basically, it would have cost me an extra thousand dollars to buy a good laptop at SDSU, while my Tablet PC was included in the tuition cost at DSU.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you mean I have to do math in school AND your blog?! ;)

I am a recipient of the Champion Scholarship too and it is a great deal. They have more donors now, so the amount of $$$ per year has gone up. Which makes it even BETTER!

Morm said...

mmmmm beef.

So Noah, what did you think of the great costs of food in the cafeteria at DSU????

Anonymous said...

The Champion Scholarship also goes off your high school GPA, too. I didn't get a Champion Scholarship even though I had the ACT for it.

Noah Sanderson, said...

yes, my bad for not mentioning that. Regardless, it's probably worth looking into.

AxiS said...

Yeah Noah, you tell Anonymous.... hiding behind the "anonymous" name...

Let me tell YOU... noah is not afraid to run shirtless down a highway screaming like gorilla during labor

Noah Sanderson, said...

Anything for Sanderson Gardens Larry.

Anonymous said...

Unlimited Earnings Potential - http://1greatfuture.com

Our company is rapidly growing and offers you an extraordinary income helping others succeed. The primary requirement is to follow up on client inquiries and point them in the right direction. It is stress free, rewarding and straightforward work.

For complete details: http://1greatfuture.com


(Please feel free to delete this post if you don't want it on your blog. Thanks for the informative blog and opportunity to post.)